The aim of mathematics in Salisbury school is to develop:
- Positive attitudes towards the subject and awareness of the relevance of mathematics in the real world;
- Competence and confidence in using and applying mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills;
- An ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately;
- Initiative and motivation to work both independently and in cooperation with others;
- Confident communication of maths where pupils ask and answer questions, openly share work and learn from mistakes;
- An ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life; and
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and investigation.
To achieve this we follow the White Rose Maths scheme of work. Each half term our children take home a Kirfs booklet, which details the maths that will be taught during that term.